A man went to his doctor after weeks of pain and said, “Doc it hurts when I put my elbow behind my head like this.” The wise doctor replied, “Then stop doing that!”
Here are some common habits. Do you have any of these? Do you consider them good habits or bad habits?
- Going to the gym every morning for an hour
- Smoking two packs of cigarettes a day
- Surfing Facebook for six hours a day
- Staying up to watch late-night television
- Drinking a Big Gulp three times a day
- Sleeping in on Saturday
- Eating only organic foods and fresh fish
- Yelling at a spouse or children
- Grumbling constantly about things at work
Some of those habits you can see clearly could have serious implications. Some of them appear to be nothing more than a personal choice or preference. You must clarify for yourself which habits to keep and which to lose.
If you want to get out of the rut you will first have to ask yourself some tough questions.
- What is the rut that I am in?
- How did I get here?
- Did I cause this, or bring it on myself?
- What is required to get out?
- What can I do tomorrow to begin to get free from this rut?
- What will life look like on the other side of this rut?
Next you have to make a commitment to change. You will have to make a commitment to stop doing some things that keep you in the rut. You have to make a commitment to do new things that will lead you closer to the life you desire. Doing new things is about developing a day by day process that will lead you toward the goals and visions that you’ve established for yourself.
If you want to be a boxer.
- Have you taken any boxing classes?
- Do you know anything about a one-two punch?
- Are you in condition to be a boxer?
- Is your body physically made to be a boxer?
Anyone with proper training, diligent practice and determination can accomplish whatever they set their hearts to. Proper training requires discipline. Proper training requires habits that are different from your natural course of action. Perhaps the steps to get from where you are to where you want to be are not as clear as take a class and sign up to play.
If you want to be a make up artist on a movie set.
- Do you have cosmetology training?
- Have had some practice under unusual lighting scenarios?
- Who do you know in the movie industry?
- What sort of movies would you want to work on?
- How far are you willing to travel?
- Would you relocate?
If you want to watch the six o’clock morning news but you sleep in till eight o’clock everyday, the chances that you get to see the six o’clock morning news are pretty slim. You’ve got to change the habit of when you get out of bed in order to watch the six o’clock news. Perhaps that is a really small and insignificant choice for you.
Maybe leaving work at five o’clock in the evening means you have to accomplish everything you’ve got to get done during the day but you can’t do that because you take a 45 min. coffee break instead of 15. That meeting that was supposed to be from nine o’clock to 10 o’clock lasted until 11:30 and then you went straight to lunch and took a long lunch and now all the things that were supposed to be done by five get moved to tomorrow’s calendar or they don’t get done at all.
In order to get out of your rut, you must identify your real priorities and begin making commitments based on your goals and your objectives.
Consider the Live A More Excellent Life Workshop